It can be difficult for some of us to get to sleep. With around 9 million Americans taking tablets to sleep better at night, insomnia has become a major problem. And that doesn’t include the millions of Americans who have trouble sleeping and don’t take sleeping pills. However, this sleepy time lotion uses a relaxing blend of essential oils and magnesium to calm the mind and promote restful sleep.
Magnesium for better sleep
Magnesium is required for over 300 biochemical reactions in the body, including nerve transmission and function. Without sufficient amounts of this mineral, sleeplessness or general anxiety can often occur. Magnesium occurs naturally in certain foods. However, most of us don’t have enough due to soil depletion, sugar consumption and poor nutrition.
The topical application of magnesium on the skin is a good addition because only 30-40% of the magnesium consumed is actually absorbed by the body. Homemade magnesium oil is known to sting the skin a little, especially during the first few uses. The combination with coconut oil keeps the skin moisturized and prevents the characteristic stinging.
You can make your own magnesium oil using our simple recipe here and we also have a great recipe for making your own magnesium-rich sleep spray here.
Mandarin essential oil
Essential citrus oils are known to have an uplifting and invigorating effect. So you’ll be surprised if you use one in a sleepy time lotion. However, mandarine essential oil has been shown to promote restful sleep. It is often used in children and is therefore a good option for all ages.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender, one of the most popular and best studied essential oils, is known for its ability to relax and soothe. It is also one of the gentlest oils and is often used for young children. An overview of essential oils for sleep has been published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. The researchers found that lavender was the best-studied essential oil for sleep disorders and no adverse events were reported.
Clary sage essential oil
Clary sage has a similar effect to lavender, although the smell is often described as pungent. This essential oil soothes and calms the nervous system and helps reduce stress and anxiety. Anxiety and nervousness can affect healthy sleep and make clary sage the perfect antidote.
Homemade Sleepy Time Lotion
- Small bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Sauce pan or small saucepan
- Place the magnesium flakes in a small bowl. Heat the water or hydrosol until it boils and then pour it over the magnesium. Stir the mixture for a few minutes or until it has completely dissolved.
- Put the coconut oil and the beeswax in a saucepan, melt on a very low heat until everything is completely melted and mix.
- Pour the oil mixture into the blender and put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. You want the oil to be opaque, firmer, and mayo consistency. Don’t make it difficult!
- Switch the mixer to medium speed and drizzle the magnesium water very slowly while the mixer or mixer is running. Continue mixing the ingredients for about 30 seconds after all of the magnesium water has been added.
- Use the spatula to scrape the lotion into the jar. Protect from direct light and heat.
How to use the Sleepy Time Lotion
- Apply this lotion generously before bed.
- It works even better when applied to the upper body or feet.
- It can take a while for the coconut oil to sink into your skin. Therefore, apply it at least 10 minutes before jumping under the covers to avoid greasy leaves.